moving house? We can help
House moving is a taxing and time-consuming affair, but planning ahead goes a long way towards making the process more bearable. Our practical tips and advice below will hopefully assist you during what is generally considered to be one of life’s most stressful events, and safeguard your sanity, as well as your treasured possessions.
- Start early, as packing always takes longer than anticipated. Begin at the top of the house and move downwards. If you have an attic or loft space, it’s a good idea to sort that area first. Always pack heavy items in smaller boxes. It will make transporting them easier and avoids any boxes failing or splitting open when lifting them.
- Pack one room at a time, labelling each box with the details of its contents and the room to which it belongs. Clearly label boxes that contain breakables with the word FRAGILE!
- Keep all boxes for each room together. This will save time when unpacking. Pillows and blankets can also be used for wrapping valuables and protecting furniture from dents and scratches.
- Pack and keep important documents together, such as birth/marriage certificates, and keep them in a safe place.
- Put all hazardous materials, such as paint, bleach and aerosols into a separate box or plastic crate and keep them away from the rest of your stuff. Unfortunately, these items are not permitted within any storage facility you might be using in-between moving house.
Disassemble items prior to transporting them to Space 4U, as not only will this make moving them easier, but it will also save you valuable storage space and limit your monthly storage bill. Space 4U does not believe in selling you too much space, and any space you can save before you start to load your self-storage unit will save you money.
Keep your bookends with your books, light bulbs with your lamps, and extension cords or specific cables with the appliances they belong to. Small, loose parts can be attached to any item they belong to with tape or placed in small, labelled bags or envelopes. Keep larger corresponding items (such as a cable TV cord) in resealable bags, and tape these to the item they belong to.
If you have any items that appear complicated to reassemble, use your smart phone or camera to take pictures of the various stages of disassembly and you can then refer to those images when you reassemble them in the future.
removals: free man and van offer
If you’re not using professionals, make sure you give family and friends plenty of notice if you need help. Unless you have very few possessions, call in the professionals to help you move house. It will relieve some of the stress of the big move. You can arrange for it all to be done for you, and pay for the privilege, or you can do the packing yourself but leave the heavy stuff to the experts. We have worked very closely with Bracknell Transport Services for many years, a local family-run business that offers preferential rates to Space 4U customers.
A free pick-up service is available to our customers who book a storage unit of up to 100 sqft for a period of 4 weeks or more (including half-price deals) within a 5-mile radius of the store you have booked into (subject to availability).
To download a PDF of the full terms and conditions for this offer please click here.
in-between contracts or waiting to exchange
Have you already sold your property, or given up your rental, and are in that in-between stage? If so, then we can help you out. We can be your storage bridge.
We have many different sized units, flexible storage duration terms and many offers to make life easier for you. Our storage experts can always advise you and work out the best solution for your personal circumstances. From storing the entire household contents for you to just a few items, get in touch today to find out more.
Moving house is stressful enough without having to worry about the waiting time. We have the space for you to securely store your belongings today.